ΕλληνικάEnglish (UK)

Churches

The Church of Dormition of the Virgin

The Church of Dormition of the Virgin, known as the Old Episkopi, located at Tegea, one of the most important archaeological sites in Arcadia, near the villages and Alley Stage.

Tegea is located in a key position to control the roads connecting Laconia with Argos and Corinth on the one and Arcadia on the other.

The frequent mention of the city of Tegea by Pausanias, references in the inscriptions, the host of notable monuments and other prestigious buildings, demonstrate the important position among the cities of Peloponnesus, both in terms of wealth and in population the residents.

Excavations have revealed parts of galleries including the Agora, Roman buildings, but also a large aisled basilica (thyrsos), part of the bath complex spaces decorated with mosaic floors and a small Middle Byzantine church.

 

Metropolitan Church of Agios Vasileios

 LISTED building requiring state protection by Ministerial Decree ΥΠΠΟ/ΑΡΧ/Β1/ Φ30/39768/771/20-8-1992 (Government Gazette 541/Β/27-8-1992)


HISTORY – BUILDING PHASES
The church of Agios Vasilios, Tripoli’s cathedral, was founded in 1855 and inaugurated 29 years later, in 1884. Tripoli was probably named after its synoikesmos with the three ancient cities of Mantineia, Tegea, and Palladio. It is first mentioned by Stefano Magno as the deserted castle of Droboliza. In the early seventeenth century, Tripoli was a large town, seat of the Turkish pasha and centre of the Peloponnese. The town was abandoned briefly during a plague epidemic in the late eighteenth century, but re-inhabited soon afterwards to regain its former vitality.

 

Church of Saint Tryphon

 

The church of St. Tryphon in Tripoli has its course through time and history in the life of the city where we will try to record then with the desire to know the past and watch the progress of the future.

It was built a few years after the Revolution of 1821 by pious Tripolitsiotis to express their gratitude to God and St. Trifon the great gift received, the acquisition of freedom.

The Place on which the Temple was built by a rocky hill southwest and out several of the city, was named Big Stone. Here, then, in the hills of Peter the Great, built aperrito simple and without any architectural peculiarity in one room chapel of St. Tryphon and remained as deserted chapel of Tripoli where the function was taken care of the priests of the parish church of the Archangels of the city and operated only the festive day of the Feast, ie the 1st rd February each year.

Read more...

 

Parish churches

156 parish churches. 70 chapels.

624 churches. 172 Churches Cemeteries. 14 private churches. 47 monastic churches.

Parsons A 30, B 45, C 25, D 30. Unmarried 9.

Married 121. Deacons 4. Total 134. Retirees 50.